Yup, that's right, not only were the blinds fake, but the curtains as well! See, I was desperate to finish the nursery and show the Big Reveal, but my sewing machine is broken, and buying store bought curtains never flies with me; I always have them envisioned in my mind before I shop, and of course, don't find that and I am too stuck on the image in my mind to choose something else. My mom tells me I have had this problem since I was a wee girl. But fabric stores have quite the variety... but my sewing machine is broken... So I thought, here's my perfect opportunity to test and share a no-sew option that I always hear about and think, "That's so wimpy." Sorry, it's the truth. Well you can call me a wimp because I am hooked! Here's how I did it.
Here's your main cast of characters...
This is where the 'faking' comes in... Stitch Witchery!
First I cut my curtain panels to size, adding 1 inch to the top and each side, and an extra 2 1/2 inches to the bottom.
To get a clean edge on the back, without the frayed edges of fabric showing, I folded the hem back 1/2 inch and pressed it.
Then I layed down the stitch witch and followed the instructions, folding the fabric over it, covering with a "pressing cloth" (I used a cloth napkin)...
I spritzed it with water directly over the stitch witch, and pressed according to directions, along the entire seam.
You will hear the stitch witch hissing. Then you have to flip it over and repeat spraying and pressing on the other side, to get that side to bond. I used this method on the top (I would be using clip style curtain rings, thus would not need a rod pocket) and sides of each curtain panel.
I wanted the bottom hem a little longer, so I did a 2 inch version...
You can see the edge of the stitch witch peeking out - oops!
I am very happy with the finished product. I would recommend the Stitch Witchery!