Thursday, September 20, 2012

mom’s bathroom freshen-up

 

Mom’s bathroom had some pretty beachy accessories, but not a lot of unique or interesting elements. 

Here are a couple before shots…

DSC_0020    DSC_0025

I love the painting (by my talented grandma, many years ago), and I love the beachy bottles and shells (most of them) and the faded blue mirror over the tub.  But the shelf unit over the toilet looked a little boring and predictable to me, and the tub area just didn’t look finished.

Here’s what I did…

DSC_0701    DSC_0708

I moved the painting over the toilet; a framed, white painted, full length mirror will hang in it’s place.  I put a couple shelves above the painting, with white painted brackets, and re-arranged her items on the shelves.  I also brought the driftwood chime from a dark corner to this area so it will catch the light here by the window.  The area looks much lighter, and more interesting, right?  This was without buying anything new besides the plates (the shelves were from me); we might buy a couple items in the end, but we’ll work with what she has first and see how far we can get.

For that tub area…

DSC_0712

We collected white, detailed plates and a couple with a bit of color, in varying sizes from thrift stores, glued a d-ring to the back of each with E-6000 glue and hung them scattered diagonally around the mirror.  It fills up the wall and adds unique interest!

I love the mixture of finishes in this area: the faded wood frame, the jute string, the clear glass knob the mirror “hangs” on, and the white and floral printed china.  Mom is going to add mirrors to a few more of the plates (the little blue one in the upper right already has one).  I also hung a couple plates on the other side of the room by the door.

 

We still have to beautify the countertop area and make a frame for her basic mirror, but this was a good start.  Which one of your rooms most needs a freshen-up?

1 comment: