Thursday, July 28, 2011

kangaroo farm

 

Last week, Mom treated me and the kids and my niece to an outing at the Outback Kangaroo Farm in Arlington.  We had a tour guide, one of the owners, Joey Strom, who started us off with a talk about Lemurs who were crazy leaping machines, jumping from the fence, to Joey, to the fence, to Joey.

DSC_0722

Then we started a walking tour of the farm.  First we got to feed a llama and an alpaca that looked a little grumpy to me…

DSC_0728

They did like giving ‘kisses’ if you held their alfalfa pellets in your pucker and mustered up your courage…

DSC_0734

Susie wasn’t sure about them either.  In fact, the moment I snapped this next picture, Mom was making her pet him and Susie kept saying, “Owie.  Owie.”  That is her current word for anything she doesn’t like.

DSC_0738

There were various kinds of birds running all over the place…

DSC_0742

I do not understand how peacocks hide all those beautiful feathers in their tails!

And this big mama was so sweet chasing after her little chicks who were scattering all over the place…

DSC_0793

And there were sweet, lazy little peacock chicks…

DSC_0805

The baby miniature donkey was a favorite of all the kids, even with Susie…

DSC_0789

DSC_0754

DSC_0762

There were grumpy emus and ostriches (you didn’t have to ask me twice no to touch them)…

DSC_0773

Oreo was also grumpy, but super cute to look at…

DSC_0766

Some big rodents; don’t ask me what they are called…

DSC_0826

Susie decided the wallabies were her favorite…

DSC_0830

DSC_0844

She might have cried when he hopped away from us.  Then she might have consoled herself by trying to ride a turtle…

DSC_0841

By this time, Mark was pretty much over the whole thing…

DSC_0860

I loved that my niece had to stop and talk to all the animals…

DSC_0868

By now it was finally time to see the kangaroos!!  The other owner, Ray had to wake up the big one from his nap so he could give the kids some hugs…

DSC_0822

DSC_0877

Can I just say, kangaroos are super weird looking…

DSC_0879 

And have quite a lot of character…

DSC_0884

All their weirdness didn’t stop Miss Maddy from chatting them up…

DSC_0892

I really wanted a shot of a peacock in all its glory, and thought I wouldn’t get it until we headed to the car and he decided to put on a little show for us…

DSC_0896  DSC_0898

Beautiful!  So unique and brilliant.

So all in all, the Kangaroo farm was a unique experience, and I would definitely recommend it if you need to shake up your routine!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome pics, wish I could of gone and seem little Maddy chatting it up with the animals!

    ReplyDelete