Monday, November 1, 2010

Burlap Frame Mats


I saw this picture in the Pottery Barn catalog a while back and clipped the picture for my idea notebook...



Among other things, I really loved those burlap mats in some of the frames! They look like this closer up...


Well, then Bower Power had to blog her version before I got around to doing it myself and that just irked me, so I had to get my bum in gear and do it!

I used the same general process except she used fabric and I used burlap. I also used Tacky Glue instead of spray adhesive. Here are some of my tips.

I used a ruler to help keep my flaps nice and straight and to try keep the ends folded back (burlap seems like it'd be easy to work with but it is not - perhaps that's why Bower Power used fabric)...



Then I clamped it down and let it dry for about 15 minutes...


I did that for each side. Then the last threads on the ends of each flap in the corners weren't long enough to stay glued to the backside, so I used some electrical tape to keep them back (duct tape would work). And I cut around the outside edges instead of folding like Bower Power - since the very edge is covered in the frame anyway, it seemed more simple...


One last general craft tip: when working with tacky glue, it can take forever to shake it into the end where it comes out, so I replace the lid after each use and keep it upside down while I am working so it is ready at all times - no shaking required...


This is the result of all that folding gluing and clamping...


It is for the MIL Master bedroom reveal I am working on the last details for. Speaking of details, look at that texture...


I need to do this for something for my own house now! Love it!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! Thanks(0: I will have to try it sometime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute! Thanks for the helpful tips. I found you on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete