Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mexican Cooking - Tortilla Soup

Wow – I have been posting lots of recipes lately – probably because I am in a bratty phase of cooking whatever I want and letting my family like it or leave it. It may sound rude but I was totally in a rut trying to please everyone else and it sucked the motivation to cook right out of me. And there was not much motivation there to begin with. It was either I cook nothing, or I cook what I want. So for a week or two, I am making some of MY favorites and trying some new recipes. And really, everyone has been happy with everything so far! Funny how that works. It probably wasn’t as big a deal as I was making it out to be in my mind. =)

Well the Tortilla Soup was a no brainer – there is no authentic Mexican dish known to man that the Logger does not devour in complete satisfaction. Even cow tongue tacos. That’s gross – forget I mentioned it.

Without further aimless rambling, here is the recipe, as I learned it from my dear friend Sandy.

DSC_0957

Authentic Mexican Tortilla Soup

{ingredients}

2 1/2 tablespoons oil

1 onion, finely chopped

5 jalapenos

6 roma tomatoes, chunked

6 cloves garlic, finely chopped, reserve 1 teaspoon

1 teaspoon cumin, divided

1 can diced tomatoes

3 limes

5 chicken breasts, cubed

salt

8 cups chicken stock or water + bullion cubes

2 to 3 dozen 6-inch corn tortillas

1 lb. cheese shredded (pepper jack, or colby are great)

3 avocados

1 bunch cilantro

1 bunch green onions

16 oz. sour cream

{directions}

Add oil to large pot. Sautee onions and peppers on medium heat until translucent. Add roma tomatoes, cook a couple minutes. Add garlic, cook a couple minutes. Add cumin, the can of tomatoes and juice of 1 lime. Return to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes; it should become mushy. Remove from pot and blend in a food processor or blender in batches, set aside.

Combine chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin, the reserved teaspoon of garlic, the juice of 1/2 a lime and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook the chicken in the large pot (which you cooked the vegetables in; now empty) with 1/2 tablespoon of oil on medium or medium high until done. Return the sauce to the pot with the chicken. Add the water or chicken stock. Return to a boil and then keep warm.

Slice a few dozen corn tortillas into 1/2 inch strips and fry them in batches in 1/4 inch of oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until crispy, removing to a bowl lined with paper towels.

To prepare the toppings, shred the cheese, chop the remaining limes into small chunks, chop the avocados, finely slice the green onions and chop the cilantro. Ladle soup into a bowl and top with a dollop of sour cream, handful of cheese, some avocados, cilantro and green onions, a squeeze of lime, and finally, the crispy tortilla strips.

I really wasn’t overly excited about this dish until I tried it and then went back for seconds and thirds! I didn’t know what I had been missing. So good! Pretty easy too! It served 6 adults and 3 children!

PS. I am a bad blogger… two weeks ago Sandy made me enchiladas. And I am not talking about those slimy red slugs most people call enchiladas – I’m talkin’ bout some MEXICAN enchiladas. With salsa verde. And spicy potatoes. Don’t be afraid. So, I confess my blogging blunder to you and will bring you this recipe ASAP. Partly because you need these enchiladas in your life and it is my duty as your fellow American with underdeveloped taste buds to pass it on, but mostly because I am like a fat kid – I cannot stop thinking about them! The Logger bravely took the only leftovers we had and I came home ravished after a soccer game late one night and just about threw a brat-fit right there in the light of the midnight glow of the refrigerator. I’m still cranky about it.

PPS. That was the longest post-script ever.

PPPS. If you are tired of my kitten pictures, don’t read this.

The girls made this “king bed” for our kitten while playing King Solomon and he fell asleep on it…

DSC_0959

How sweet is that? It looks like a real king bed piled high with pillows!

DSC_0961

And my sweet birthday gift from Leah looks like his crown! It is a sweet little pillow with bunting on it! It is upside down in the picture and looks like the points of a crown. Sandy's girls pointed that out to me. Kids are so creative.

Peace out! For reals this time!

No comments:

Post a Comment