Thursday, June 10, 2010

Progress - Master Bedroom Decor ala Farm Chicks


Does that even make sense? I should know what 'ala' means because I took Spanish, but I don't recall. Don't worry, I am pretty much done with Farm Chicks posts; it is just that this progress is due to those purchases.

Okay, this mirror was just fine with me - I even thought it was really nice with the real wood frame that matched the cedar wall and cedar-toned dressers in our master bedroom...


that is, until I saw this blue-gray-turquoise treasure hiding in an adorable little booth that I should have remembered and linked you to...


I had initially wanted to use it at my MIL's, but it didn't jive with anything I had going on at her house, so I snapped this picture to remind me that I loved it and to think about it. Well I thought about it, and remembered I had been looking for a mirror with this kind of detail for my bedroom...


my bedroom which also happens to have a scheme that does jive with the muted turquoise of this beauty! Since it is not quite full length, I thought it might look awkward, but Leah supported me and convinced me it would be okay, so...


Good call, Leah! What a difference! That's what some style can do for you! I am slowly learning not to always stick with safe, boring and proper. I was worried that this mirror was from the wrong era for this room, but I do believe I am in love. That corner is much better now.

Next, we move on another big step in the master bedroom; the cluttered book shelves...


This was really bothering me lately, so I put another of my Farm Chicks finds to good use here. First, I took away the filing shelf/baskets thingy that always looks out of place no matter where I put it. Then I took the books off the top shelf and decided the top shelf needed to be dedicated to one thing and one thing only, in order for the whole arrangement to look less cluttered. Which brought me to these...


I had one of these jars already, with my husband's late father's marble collection from when he was a boy safely housed inside for display. More of these jars had been number one on my list to hunt down at the sale, and there were plenty on hand at several booths. I think they work nicely on the shelf...



I love that the jars help me with my small-house-no-storage issues, housing collections, receipts and business cards that I don't have another logical place for. And the blue jars are perfect with the color scheme. That makes me feel much better. And Mom, you might finally get the filing thingy if you still want it! But where am I gonna stick all my files! Argh!

This guy is still looking for his permanent home...


Ironically, while decorating my MIL's office (I need to bring you that 'reveal'), I put a ceramic birdie in a nest under a glass cloche. I thought it was whimsical and charming, but the MIL said she was sad because he seemed like he was suffocating. I thought that was the silliest thing... until... I tried to put Mr. Fergie under that large cloche behind him, and I couldn't do it! I'm getting soft! Next I'll be unable to abandon dying houseplants like my mother!

2 comments: