Thursday, June 9, 2011

CHAPS–mmmmm…

 

So Serena, the founder of Farm Chicks, highly recommended this local bakery for ravished flea-market hunters.

Boy did she hit the nail on the head. 

DSC_0053

Both entrances are for Chaps (btw, their website wasn’t all that user friendly but after we tried their food, we forgave them =).  We hit them up for full breakfast on Saturday, and then pastries and espressos on the go Sunday.  Killer baked goods…

DSC_0040  DSC_0043

By the way they are super mean… you have to walk by a case of baked goods while in line and then they put that rack at the checkout counter just in case the temptation wasn’t enough the first time.  I don’t even know what those Carmel-covered-looking doughnuts were, but we couldn’t resist the second day – Leah bought and shared one and I thought it was really good.  I had an apple fritter that changed my life. 

…AH-MAZING atmosphere and eye candy…

The little entrance we took brought us into a charming dining area with a small fireplace…

DSC_0045

…and around the corner we came into the main dining area and bakery…

DSC_0112

The picture really doesn’t do it justice.  It was great.  And so was the food…

DSC_0050

I had blueberry muffin French toast with bacon and potatoes.  Oh man.  That is not butter that is like blueberry whipped magical cream cheese or something.  I was thrilled with my food.  Plus they served all the cold drinks in mason jars – makes me feel like I am in the South.  I have never been there, but I picture sweet iced tea in a mason jar and a rocking chair on a front porch.  It is an obsession I am having right now.  Almost makes me want to get on an airplane for the first time.  Pretty close.

I waited the whole meal for these ladies to depart their table next to the huge fireplace flanked by two amazing vintage crystal chandeliers so I could photograph it - no luck, so I decided to take an oddly-centered picture of our group and the cool fireplace…

DSC_0052

I actually can count to two – only one of the chandeliers made it into the picture.  That fireplace is bigger than it looks – they decorated the mantle with a bicycle.  This year our group grew… Left to right is my mom – Sue, Leah’s mom - Mary, then Esther and Leah. 

Everything in the restaurant was scrapped together with used, worn, loved vintage finds, and I even saw a huge industrial mixer with attachments larger than my torso that had to be old.  It was oozing with charm, whimsy and obviously someone who loved it.

So much fun.  Such a perfect spot for some girlfriends to grab a bite.  Don’t be shy about taking your man there, though, their menu can easily handle men.  I guarantee it.

DSC_0113

Please, if you are going through Spokane, you must try Chaps.  It was only about 10 minutes from I-90.  You’ll be glad you did.  Chaps – I love you.  I will miss you… until next year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment