Monday, January 25, 2010

Tape the Line

Okay, is there anyone else out there who has had bad experiences with trying to tape off designs when painting walls? Especially with textured walls, right? I used to fall into that category, but not now!

So I have had two different people try to explain this to me and I never could get it until this week at Home Depot, I was like, "Okay, I don't get this, explain it to me again." And she did. And I got it! So I will share it with you.

Problem: You tape off an edge, and roll on your paint, and the paint seeps under the edge of the tape, giving you a "cloud" shaped edge, rather than the straight line you are looking for.

Solution:

Step One: Tape. Just like you used to. I got it in place, and then used a wadded up washcloth to press it on real well.


Step Two: This is the key! Paint the transition edge (where your two colors will meet) of the tape, using the existing wall color. I made sure to paint from the new color area toward and onto the tape, to really seal the edge. Let dry according to instructions for 'second coat'.


Step Three: Roll your new color on and remove the tape while it is still wet (or after 2nd coat).


Don't look at the awful blue paint from the previous paint job all over the vinyl of my windows - I have NO answer for this! I tried everything to get it off (it is 3 yrs old). I am currently caulking the corner and will paint white over anything that still shows.

Anyway, as far as the taping went, I was really happy with the results and will definitely be using this technique in the future!

I also wanted to share with you a great tool that I love to use for 'cutting in' the edges. You simply dip the edge of the tool in paint, run it up to the edge you are working with, and then slide it along that edge horizontally.


So simple, so fast and so consistent. Here is the before and after:


A little hard to see in my bad photos, but in the first picture, when I cut in my white ceiling with a brush (found out the hard way the edger tool does not work upside down, and had already finished green walls), I was sloppy with the white and went past the corner, onto the wall. You can see in the second picture, the edger tool kept the transition consistent, right along the corner.

So there you have it. That's all I got on painting, considering it is my most hated decorating job. I know you might have been looking for a nursery reveal today, but it's not done yet. Hopefully tomorrow. Sweet husb made me this for lunch so I could keep working on the room, though:


Do you think the 'fry' completely counteracts the healthiness of the fish? =)

3 comments:

  1. I like the pics with your hands! Very pioneer woman of you! Yeah...I am afraid that fish isnt doing much for ya after your husband got ahold of it...ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete