Saturday, November 10, 2012

dresser to entertainment center

 

Okay, I have a big project to share, that I am really happy with…

This pin inspired me to move my furniture around and be heading out for a Craigslist dresser that same day.

This is what I brought home…

dresser_before_thumb2

And this is what I’ve got now after some elbow grease…

DSC_0490txt_thumb2

DSC_0495_thumb2

DSC_0506_thumb8

I am super happy with how it turned out. I took out the top three drawers (kept them and finished them in case I wanted to use the piece as a dresser again someday), drilled large holes at the back of each slot for the electronics’ cords and painted the inside with flat charcoal chalk board paint (it’s just what I had on hand) to camouflage the black electronics. Then I painted the outside with two coats of Annie Sloan’s Chalk Paint in Old White, lightly sanded some edges to distress, and then added one coat of Annie Sloan’s Clear Wax. Then I added the rope handles because there were three different hardware sizes that were going to be hard to find.

I love the look and badly needed the extra storage in this room. I previously had electronics cords, etc. in the attic and cds, dvds and vhs in baskets in my small bookshelf. Now all that is in the dresser, freeing up more space in the bookshelf. Not to mention these electronics used to be in the tiny hall closet which was, you can imagine, most inconvenient.

So that’s about it for now. Hunkering down, having roaring fires and making lots of soup. I photographed a wedding a few weeks ago, still have to finish up editing and some bride & groom shots for it, need to have family pics taken, need to take some pics of the kids, and have another wedding coming up in about a month. Busy times!

Godbless!

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I wanna see a pic of the whole room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what did you use to fill the holes under the actual drawers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan, I didn't fill the drawer holes at all. There is a slight step down from the front, and I just sat the electronic units' front feet on the front. You can't see at all that they slope down a 1/4 inch step. I hope this helps! =)

      Delete
  4. Love this makeover! Sharing it over at my place on Friday! xoxo

    ReplyDelete